Congratulations on your beautiful smile! To keep your smile looking its best, it is critical to wear your new retainers as recommended. This is a very important part of your orthodontic treatment as your teeth will shift or crowd if you do not wear your retainers as instructed!
- In the beginning, you must wear your retainers 8–10 hours per day and while you sleep. You can remove them to eat, play sports, play musical instruments, and to brush.
- Brush your retainers with your toothbrush and toothpaste. For added cleaning, you can soak your retainers in water with a mixture of 1/2 H2O, 1/2 hydrogen peroxide, a mixture of water and vinegar, or brush them gently with liquid dish soap.
- The acrylic part of your retainers cannot handle much heat! Be careful not to leave your retainers in the sun or car on a hot day, and never place your retainers in boiling hot water to clean them.
- Always keep your retainers in their case while you are eating. DO NOT wrap them in a paper towel or stick them in your pocket. This creates a higher risk for them to be lost or broken.
- Do not click your retainers in and out with your tongue. This will bend and eventually break them.
Learn more about the procedures we offer, our practice philosophy, and get started on your journey to a healthier life through oral surgery.