Instructions: Palatal ExpanderBACK
Congratulations! You are now the owner of an expansion appliance! This appliance is designed to widen your upper jaw and make room to straighten your teeth.
Please be aware of a few important points:
- You will feel some pressure as the jaw expands and possibly a tingling sensation at the bridge of your nose.
- Expect to see a space open between your 2 front teeth. This is a good sign! The space will close once the expander is no longer activated.
- It may be difficult to speak normally at first. Your normal speech will return within a few days.
- Be sure to thoroughly brush your appliance at least 3 times a day.
- Remember to avoid sticky and chewy foods, which can loosen your appliance.
- You will be given a calendar marking the days that you should turn your appliance.
- Make sure you only turn your appliance once a day, complete the number of turns scheduled, and stop turning the key once turns are complete.
- STOP TURNS IF APPLIANCE BECOMES LOOSE.
Learn more about the procedures we offer, our practice philosophy, and get started on your journey to a healthier life through oral surgery.