Congratulations! You are now the owner of an expansion appliance! This appliance is designed to widen your upper jaw and make room to straighten your teeth.
Please be aware of a few important points:
- You will feel some pressure as the jaw expands and possibly a tingling sensation at the bridge of your nose.
- Expect to see a space open between your 2 front teeth. This is a good sign! The space will close once the expander is no longer activated.
- It may be difficult to speak normally at first. Your normal speech will return within a few days.
- Be sure to thoroughly brush your appliance at least 3 times a day.
- Remember to avoid sticky and chewy foods, which can loosen your appliance.
- You will be given a calendar marking the days that you should turn your appliance.
- Make sure you only turn your appliance once a day, complete the number of turns scheduled, and stop turning the key once turns are complete.
- STOP TURNS IF APPLIANCE BECOMES LOOSE.